Transfer Contacts from Android to Windows Phone

Android to Windows Phone

I recently lost my Samsung Galaxy S III and decided to replace it with the Nokia Lumia 1020 and its killer camera, which required me moving from Android to Windows Phone 8 (WP8).

I had anticipated moving to another phone before I lost my S3 so all of my contacts were saved online in my Google account with Google Contacts.  At first it appeared that my transition would be import and export free:  all I would need to do is sign in to my Google account from my WP8 phone.  But upon checking my contacts after syncing my Google account I saw that most of them were missing most of their info, notably phone numbers.

I did a lot of research, including reading some announcement that Google Sync will be discontinued for free Google Apps users, but nothing told me why most of my contacts were defective.  So I looked at the actual content of the Google Contacts format by downloading the file and eventually found that the reason for the missing content was capitalization of some of the field names.

If you have the same issue do this to fix it:

  1. Download your Google contacts via More -> Export… -> Google CSV format.
  2. Open the file with a text editor, e.g. Notepad,  (Excel won’t work for this task.)
  3. Do a case sensitive replacement for:
    HOME -> Home
    MOBILE -> Mobile
    CUSTOM -> Mobile
    MAIN -> Mobile
    WORK -> Work
  4. Save the file,
  5. Delete all your online Google contacts,
  6. Upload your newly decapitalized contacts file, and
  7. Finally sync your Google account on your WP8 phone.

That solved my problem.  Hopefully it will solve yours too!

You may find that you have more field names for certain phone numbers:  maybe pager, company, or whatever.  Sentence case these field names also.

Let me know if this helped you transfer your contacts.

Good luck!

Carbonite is Useless (Review)

Carbonite

Carbonite

I don’t have much to report here since I my experience with Carbonite occurred a few months ago and I’ve forgotten many of the details. But I’d like to report that Carbonite was absolutely useless.

Apparently Carbonite had backed up several gigabytes of data for me, but I couldn’t get to any meaningful amount of it. Nor could I access particular files for that matter.

I have a very high speed internet connection; speedtest.net tells me upwards of 50 Mbps. However, it took me 24 hours to download less than a couple hundred Mb from Carbonite. I called their tech support several times the next day to ask them how I could download a particularly important file I needed. They directed me to the search function of their desktop control panel. It turned out to be unable to search my files effectively. It also crashed many times.

So after spending over an hour on the phone with their tech support over the span of several calls and days I decided to ask for a refund for the unused 2 years on my 3-year plan. When they should have offered me a full refund they told me I had to spend more time with their tech support winding my way through 2 more levels of support despite having worked my way to what I already thought was level 3 support.

Well, I’m using SOS Online Backup now. If I ever need to access my data I’ll let you know how it goes.